‘Sophia’s Law’ seeks to create new carbon monoxide detector rules for boats
Bill named for seven-year-old who died from carbon monoxide poisoning on Lake Minnetonka
Fighting back tears, Courtney Baechler told her story before the state Senate’s Environment and Energy Committee on March 22.
“It was a beautiful 84-degree day in October,” the Edina mother said, detailing the busy weekend her seven-year-old daughter had had leading up to the family’s late-afternoon boat trip on Lake Minnetonka. “She scored the winning goal on her travelling soccer team the day before. … It was picture perfect.”
But the Sunday outing turned tragic when Sophia was found unresponsive in the boat’s lower cabin. Earlier, the mother said, Sophia had complained of a headache and decided to go rest.
“It had been about seven minutes. … The next thing I heard was Ben [Sophia’s father] screaming ‘Sophia!’ and carrying our lifeless baby girl. He found her on the floor of the bedroom,” she said. “I remember looking at her in shock and just waiting for her to wake up. Ben started screaming, ‘It’s carbon monoxide! I know it! … Start CPR!’”