Ask a Trooper — Law applies to changing current driver’s license address

  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Print Friendly and PDF

Ask a Trooper — QUESTION: How long does a person have to change their driver’s license address?

ANSWER: It depends on the circumstance. I will name off some situations.

•     If you’re already living in Minnesota and move to a new address in the state, the law requires that you apply for a new driver’s license within 30 days of changing your address.

•    If you have a valid driver’s license or instruction permit from another state, you have 60 days after becoming a Minnesota resident to obtain your Minnesota license or permit.

•    If you have a valid “commercial driver’s license” (CDL) from another state, you have 30 days to obtain your Minnesota license after moving here.

•    You do not need a Minnesota license if you work for the United States Armed Forces or are a family member of someone in the Armed Forces stationed in Minnesota, and hold a valid out-of-state driver’s license.

•    If you are on active duty with the U.S. armed forces and have a valid Minnesota driver’s license, you are not required to renew your license until you are discharged, regardless of your length of service. This law also applies to the spouses of those on active duty, if the spouse does not reside in Minnesota during the active duty period.

A portion of state statutes were used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic-related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.  (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at, [email protected]).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Purchase Photos

menards flyer promo