Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State launches “My Ballot” online tool
St. Paul, MN. —September 18, 2012—Secretary of State Mark Ritchie announced the launch of a new online tool to assist voters to become better acquainted with the candidates and questions they will see on their November 6 General Election ballot.
The initiative named My Ballot not only allows users to view a list of what will be on their ballot, but also provides links to other sites allowing voters to access information about the candidates and ballot questions. The site is located at: http://myballotmn.sos.state.mn.us/.
“As Secretary of State, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of voter education and providing voters access to information for them to make informed decisions in the upcoming election,” Ritchie said. “My Ballot is a one-stop voter’s guide to individual General Election ballots and extends the services that my office provides to voters.”
The webpage features:
• A comprehensive list of all candidates and questions appearing on individuals’ ballots for the November 6, 2012, General Election
• Links to candidate websites as provided by the candidates and to the language of ballot questions (constitutional amendments, local government questions)
• A link to sample ballots, if provided by the county
• Links to other online tools to assist voters including Polling Place Finder, Absentee Ballot Lookup and Voter Registration Lookup
• A similar user-friendly design to other tools on the Secretary of State website
• Explanations of candidate order as listed on ballot
Minnesota voters are extremely busy. Some may not have the time to attend or watch debates and simply viewing political advertisements do not provide them with the full breadth of issues. My Ballot provides an opportunity for these voters to examine candidates and issues at their convenience.
A link to the My Ballot tool is also prominently featured on the www.mnvotes.org webpage.
Editor’s note: Mark Ritchie is Minnesota’s 21st Secretary of State. A downloadable press photograph is available at: http://www.sos.state.mn.us/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4142